Company: Michigan State University Federal Credit Union
Location: East Lansing
Posted on: January 14, 2019
Who we are:
Founded in 1937, MSU Federal Credit Union is owned and operated by members of the Michigan State University and Oakland University communities. We offer financial services to MSU and OU faculty, staff, students, alumni association members, and their families as well as a variety of select employee groups.
A day in the life of a Network Engineer/Architect
The Network Engineer/Architect assures the functionality, connectivity& correct configuration of the credit union's distributed enterprise network, data center network, and virtual network systems related to networking, monitoring and security. They are also responsible for supporting and maintaining the functionality of the routers, switches, applications, appliances and networked security solutions. Network Engineers and Architects also configure network monitoring tools for the environment and maintain a positive relationship with other members of the Information Technology team, vendors and other credit union employees through communications, reporting, and alerting.
- Administer, maintain and monitor data center networking equipment, including switches, routers, firewalls, wireless controllers, access points and environmental systems.
- Maximizes network efficiencies by monitoring performance; troubleshooting network problems and outages; scheduling upgrades/updates; collaborating with network architects on network optimization.
- Participate as a contributor in the implementation of projects, taking direction from Network Infrastructure Manager, Network Architects and/or project leads.
- Participate in disaster recovery planning, development, exercises and actual events working with the Security team to create and maintain a secure infrastructure.
- Prepare and maintain documentation of network standards, configurations, procedures and cabling layouts.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Participates in an on-call rotation to support immediate response to critical system issues.
- Perform other duties and assist other employees, as assigned.
What you can bring to MSUFCU:
- Associate's or bachelor's degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science is preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience in one or more of the following areas: Routing and Switching, Security, Wireless, Data Center
- Experience working with Cisco IOS and NX-OS.
- Experience administering collaboration solutions.
- Experience working with enterprise network monitoring/ configuration tools such as SolarWinds
- Strong working knowledge with Cisco LAN architectures including Ethernet, STP, VTP, VLANs, QOS etc.
- Strong working knowledge of wireless technologies including 802.11 protocols.
- Ability to efficiently manage network expansion.
- Cisco Nexus/Data Center deployment/operation experience preferred
- CCNA or CCNP certification preferred
Keywords: Michigan State University Federal Credit Union, East Lansing , Network Engineer/Architect, Professions , East Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!