Business Intelligence Analyst
Location: East Lansing
Posted on: November 22, 2022
Position SummaryThis position works as part of the Business
Intelligence (BI) Team that supports the Credit Union to utilize
data for enhanced member service and decision making. The BI
Analyst utilizes data visualization technology and innovation to
assist business units with requests for data in the form of
reports, dashboards, and other data solutions in order to support
their business processes and initiatives. With increased experience
and progression in knowledge and skill levels, BI Analysts deliver
strategic insights across departments at the Credit Union. In
addition, this role transforms data into information and knowledge
that enables key business processes while presenting insights to
all levels of management. BI Analysts solve highly complex
problems, taking a broad perspective to identify solutions that
benefits Credit Union members across the BI analytics ecosystem.
Must have an eye for accuracy and desire to provide solutions to
improve and maintain the quality of data. The ideal candidate who
wishes to grow in the position will have or be willing to develop
an in-depth understanding of the Credit Union business with an
interest in going beyond what is asked, proactively recommending
insights, and turning that knowledge into a story to benefit
members and enable better decision making.Work Location:This
position is a hybrid role with a combination of working both onsite
at the Headquarters 1 building in East Lansing and remotely. A
schedule of expected onsite and remote workdays will be discussed
during the interview process.Essential Duties and
ResponsibilitiesBusiness Intelligence Analyst I:
- Uses data to identify trends, patterns, risks and opportunities
that may impact the Credit Union. This includes analyzing and
benchmarking Credit Union data with industry trends. Communicates
findings to the appropriate business partner with
- Provides clear, insightful data analysis that tells a story and
helps leaders make better decisions, using a variety of
communication methods (BI tools, Data Visualizations, PowerPoint,
- Performs data analysis such as qualitative and quantitative
statistics, trend analysis and correlation of variables to
effectively interpret data for business processes and decision
- Creates business intelligence dashboards with typography, data
visualizations and a focus on end-user experience that clearly
outlines KPIs with visual graphics.
- Develops and presents standard reports and dashboards that
include descriptive statistics, data visualizations, and text
extracts that support strategic decision making and business
processes to benefit members of the Credit Union.
- Analyzes how BI and data solutions can be applied to enhance
member service, reduce cost, increase revenue, improve efficiency,
and provide higher quality data and reporting across the Credit
- Develops complex queries using SQL and BI data visualization
- Applies appropriate methodologies for collecting, analyzing and
presenting data and information by making use of BI reporting tools
(e.g. SQL Server, Power BI, etc.)
- Identify strategic analytical solutions through research and
analysis of data and business processes.
- Communicates and collaborates with business partners and
leaders regarding areas of opportunity to leverage data and
analytic solutions to enable data driven decision-making.
- Researches, analyzes and recommends Credit Union data and
analytics best practices. This includes staying current with how
the Credit Union can leverage new BI and data warehouse
- Monitors data quality and works with IT and business partners
on processes to improve quality of data.
- Assists with development of data quality processes, defining
data elements, and other data governance solutions.
- Assists in the development of data training programs throughout
the organization. Provides documentation, topics, and support for
- Utilizes a system-level, team-oriented mindset with an eye on
- Works with various database technologies (SQL Server, MySQL,
- Integrates data sources from multiple systems to provide
seamless data analysis.
- Maintains and enhances data integrity of all information
through the Enterprise Data Warehouse, using an understanding of
database relationships and interconnections among data
- Partners with BI team members, IT, database and server
administrators to improve performance of queries and
- Responsible for investigating and resolving day-to-day data
visualization and reporting issues.
- Develops test scenarios for BI data visualizations and
enterprise data warehouse processes.
- Leads small size complexity enhancements and projects.
- Assists with project implementation plans using agile
methodologies which highlight milestones, deliverables, best
practices, and benefits to Credit Union members.
- Monitors and evaluates BI and analytics technology trends and
how the Credit Union can best leverage these for enhanced member
- Remains current on new developments in BI by engaging in
educational and networking opportunitites within the field.
- Performs other duties and assist other employees, as
assigned.Business Intelligence Analyst II:
- All of Business Intelligence Analyst I duties and
- Innovatively and proactively presents ideas on how to leverage
data to key stakeholders.
- Works with business partners and information technology teams
to strategize long-term data platform architecture.
- Designs and develops dimensional data model (star, snowflake),
ETL/ELT frameworks and processing, meta-data management,
operational data integration, master data management and data
quality, data auditing and profiling, and business intelligence
- Completes complex tickets that involve multiple data sources,
applications, and outputs.
- Assists with vendor relations including escalating issues to
- Leads medium size complexity enhancements and projects with a
focus on advanced analytical requirements.
- Contributes knowledge of Credit Union, BI and data analytics to
training programs, support processes, and operating
- Shares best practices and knowledge through written
documentation, presentations, and informal meetings with other team
members and departments.
- Prepares project implementation plans using agile methodologies
which highlight milestones, deliverables, best practices, and
benefits to Credit Union members.Senior Business Intelligence
- All of the Business Intelligence Analyst II duties and
- Coaches and mentors other BI and IT team members on analytics
- Completes complex requests that involve multiple data sources,
applications, and outputs.
- Leads all size complexity (small, medium, large) enhancements
and projects with a focus on advanced analytical requirements. This
includes significant experience in managing cross-functional,
multi-dimensional teams and projects of the highest complexity
which have business risk and impact.
- Creates and delivers relevant data analytics training materials
for the Credit Union.
- Supports the Credit Union strategic direction and initiatives
with data while helping others understand the purpose of decisions
- Creates and updates department procedures and CU Info
- Participates in the promoting and implementing of creative and
innovative ideas for the BI team and Credit Union.
- Identifies training opportunities and works with management to
implement.Knowledge, Skills, and AbilitiesBusiness Intelligence
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in
computer science, information technology, business analytics, or
related analytic field (math, statistics, etc.) or equivalent
combination of work experience and education.
- Demonstrates aptitude/willingness to learn:
- Discovering and presenting actionable data insights
- data analysis of Credit Union data
- data visualization tools
- how to query data
- structure and content of Credit Union data and databases
- how to improve processes using data
- Develop and troubleshoot SQL statements including stored
- Familiar with programming languages such as R and Python.
- Ability to work with business partners and vendors on data
specifications. This includes interpreting data specification
documents, working with IT on file transfers, and delivering
automated data solutions.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, manage multiple
projects concurrently, and meet deadlines.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and
- Highly effective time and project management skills, including
ability to coordinate development, testing and implementation.
- Ability to complete tasks with accuracy and in a timely
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Must be
able to communicate effectively and confidently with users, team
members, departments and all personnel across the Credit
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Strong problem solving, analytical, logical reasoning, customer
service and training skills.
- Passion for improving systems and processes and desire for real
- Passion for learning and teaching others.Business Intelligence
- All of BI Analyst I knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Strong data presentation skills that tell a clear story.
- Experience with business intelligence tools such as Microsoft
Power BI, Tableau, TIBCO Spotfire, Thoughtspot, Alteryx, etc.
- Strong experience developing enterprise level structured
reports and dashboards. This includes utilizing data solutions that
are multi-purposed and utilize common data models.
- Strong SQL development experience including development of
- Experience with database technologies such as Microsoft SQL
Server, MySQL, Oracle, and other relational databases.
- Proficiency with Data Warehouse methodology and best
- Proficiency of data modeling concepts such as facts,
dimensions, star and snowflake schemas.
- Strong expertise of data quality principles such as data
governance, data auditing and data profiling.
- Proficiency with data quality best practices and how to
implement data quality improvements across the organization.Senior
Business Intelligence Analyst:
- All of BI Analyst II knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Advanced skill interpreting, extrapolating and interpolating
data for statistical research and modeling. This includes
interpreting and synthesizing large amounts of information.
- Significant experience in problem resolution including
determining root cause, scope and scale of issues.
- Significant experience in market/consumer research, project
management, and analysis in support of strategic planning
- Demonstrates advanced ability to communicate complex data
scenarios in an easy to understand manner for all levels of the
- Advanced expertise in independently identifying and
implementing solutions that improve data quality and organizational
knowledge of data.
- Experience participating in enterprise analytics projects and
large-scale use cases.
- Advanced SQL and BI tool skills. Including development of SQL
- Expert knowledge of BI and analytics best practices and
implementation across an organization.
- Pursuing or completed a leadership training or certification OR
Leadership skills to provide help to other staff in the absence of
management.Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Required to sit, stand, walk; talk and hear; and ability to
touch and interact with office equipment
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Normal office environment where there is minimal discomfort due
to temperature, dust, noise and other factors
- Exposure to potentially hazardous condition, i.e. robbery.
Receives detailed instructions and procedures to be followed to
minimize the exposure Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected
Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities The contractor will not
discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or
applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or
disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or
applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation
information of other employees or applicants as a part of their
essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees
or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to
compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response
to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an
investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: MSUFCU, East Lansing , Business Intelligence Analyst, Professions , East Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!