Mental Health Technician Full Time Nights
Company: Brightwell Behavioral Health
Location: East Lansing
Posted on: January 15, 2022
MENTAL HEALTH TECHNICIAN - Full Time Nights - 7:00pm -
7:30amBrightwell Behavioral Health is dedicated to being a best
practice psychiatric inpatient hospital that provides short term
care and treatment to seniors with psychiatric diagnoses.
Brightwell Behavioral Health provides patients with compassionate
and comprehensive treatment for all their psychological,
behavioral, physical and socialization needs. We are a 23-bed
inpatient facility. We offer a competitive salary, benefits and
free meals and drinks!Performs receptionist and clerical duties for
nurse's, assists nurses in performing basic nursing care,
maintaining an orderly environment in accordance with hospital
policies and procedures. Functions under the supervision and
direction of the Registered Nurse, License Practical Nurse and
Director of Nursing to assist in providing personal care to the
patient's at Brightwell Behavioral, within scope of
- Assists with admission, transfer and discharge of patients.
Answers call system promptly.
- Takes and records patients' temperature, pulse, respiration's,
blood pressure, intake and output, and weight according to hospital
procedure. Performs glucometer testing and bladder scans as
- Assist in giving and teaching bed baths, shower, tub and
partial baths. Gives therapeutic baths such as sitz, foot and
temperature sponge bath. Assist in giving and teaching oral
hygiene, hair care, nails care, and gives special skin care
(includes back rubs).
- Makes open, closed and occupied beds.
- Does perineal care. Performs foley catheter care as directed by
a nurse. May discontinue foley catheters upon the direct order of a
nurse after successful completion of competency. Passes and empties
bedpan; collects urine and stool specimens.
- Passes and collects meal trays as needed; passes and assists
patients in obtaining nourishment between meals. Assists and
teaches patients with meals. Refills patient's water pitcher.
- Applies K-pad, ice pack.
- Assists patients walking, crutch walking, with walker and
transports patients to various hospital departments by wheelchair
or stretcher. Assists patients up to chair.
- Notifies nursing personnel of orders requiring immediate
attention. Clarifies unclear orders with the nurse as needed.
- Demonstrates age appropriate competency skills and knowledge,
ability to perform skills specific to patient population identified
in unit specific skill list.
- Completes appropriate computer entry and/or requisition form
and contacts other departments to schedule diagnostic tests, meals,
therapies, etc., consistent with physicians order and/or nurses
- Assembles patients' chart for newly admitted unit patients and
maintains current charts by filing physician orders and test
- Disassembles and routes patient charts to appropriate
department upon discharge, transfer, expiration or as
- Greets and directs patients and visitors, and orients patients
to the unit.
- Answers telephone calls, responds to routine inquiries and
relays other calls and messages. Responds to patients' intercom
calls and notifies appropriate personnel of patient's
- Contacts physician directly as requested by authorized
personnel. Notifies physicians of patient room numbers, clarifies
- Responsible for knowing the lifting requirements of the job and
requesting assistance when appropriate.
- Contacts various hospital departments in order to change
schedules; arrange for patient transportation, unit cleaning or
equipment repair; and to order physical therapy, supplies,
- Performs related clerical duties such as filing, photocopying,
running errands, completing patient census forms, ordering
stationary and pens, fax machine, etc.
- Maintains a professional approach with confidentiality. Assures
protection and privacy of health information as attained through
written, electronic or oral disclosures.
- Displays concern and initiative. Is resourceful and calm in
- Is prompt and efficient with minimal absences.
- Cooperates and maintains good rapport with nursing staff,
medical staff, other departments, and visitors.
- Seeks guidance and remains knowledgeable of, and complies with,
all applicable federal and state laws, as well as hospital polices
that apply to assigned duties.
- Complies with hospital expectations regarding ethical behavior
and standards of conduct.
- Complies with federal and hospital requirements in the areas of
protected health information and patient
privacy.RequirementsExperience: Prefer one year of nursing aide
experience. Prefer experience in the psychiatric
settingLicensure:MHT's are encouraged to attend STNA or CNA school,
after one year of service. CPR certification within 180 days of
Skills:Excellent verbal communication skills necessary in order to
comfort patients and their families. Maintain effective contacts
with a variety of Hospital Personnel. Must demonstrate knowledge
and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the
patient served on assigned unit/department.Working ConditionsThe
employee may be exposed to blood borne pathogens, infectious
diseases, and other hazardous wastes, (i.e. Hepatitis, Aids,
Tuberculosis). Proper precautions will be taught and provided by
the hospital. The position requires a considerable amount of
Keywords: Brightwell Behavioral Health, East Lansing , Mental Health Technician Full Time Nights, Professions , East Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!