SMG- Orthopedic Surgery - MEDICAL ASSISTANT
Company: Sparrow Health System
Location: East Lansing
Posted on: November 20, 2022
Job ID:35874 Positions Location: East Lansing, MI Job Description
General Purpose of Job:
Positions Location: East Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Responsible for the efficient and effective processing of patients
through the clerical and clinical areas of the practice/clinic.
Assists providers in providing high quality, compassionate patient
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential
duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to
perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership
has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Prepares patient for examination. Obtains vital signs and chief
complaint. Appropriately documents information obtained.
- Performs laboratory and diagnostic testing.
- Answers, screens and triages telephone calls. Takes accurate
messages and distributes to the appropriate personnel within the
guidelines of the practice.
- Schedules tests and referral appointments for
- Administers oral and injectable medication. Phones
prescriptions to pharmacies.
- Engages and helps promote patient/family teaching as
appropriate; and provides an educational environment for patients
and patient families.
- Works gaps in care registries to help improve the quality of
- Maintains all logs and required checks (i.e., refrigerator
temps, medications, oxygen, etc.)
- Maintains practice standards by participating in in-services,
committees, etc. May assist in developing and implementing quality
control and practice policies.
- Inventories, orders and restocks areas as necessary.
- Maintains and cleans equipment and environmental safety as
- Ability to provide clerical services and clinical services as
required to maintain an effective practice flow. Cross trained to
work both clerically and clinically.
* Demonstrates knowledge and maintains and respects patient right
to privacy by following the HIPAA Privacy and Security policies and
procedures. * Adheres to ICARE values and standards of behavior
(Innovation, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence). *
Role model behaviors that value the diversity of our associates,
patients and customers and supports creating an environment that is
inclusive, welcoming and respectful. * Communicates with patients,
families and customers using AIDET (Acknowledge, Introduce,
Duration, Explanation, Thank). * Works in a safe manner and
promptly reports any hazards identified in the work environment or
related to assigned responsibilities.
* Specialty clinics may require six months specialty experience *
Relevant clinical experience within the past 5 years; if no
clinical experience, completion of medical assistant program in
past two years. * Previous work experience in medical office
setting. Preferred * MA Certification. Preferred. * Experience with
an EMR. Preferred.
* High school diploma or GED * Completion of an accredited medical
assistant program, including an externship OR a minimum of 5 years
of Sparrow medical assistant experience in a clinical capacity
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
* Ability to provide care for patients, which is age specific to
their physical and safety needs, psychosocial concerns and
educational level. * Necessary visual and auditory acuity required
to monitor patient's condition and operate department equipment *
Demonstrates a positive team attitude and has interpersonal skills
to effectively and appropriately communicate with clients, their
families, providers and co-workers. * Ability to work in an EMR
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or
protected Veteran status.
Patient Services/Nursing Support
Degree Type / Education Level
High School / GED
Keywords: Sparrow Health System, East Lansing , SMG- Orthopedic Surgery - MEDICAL ASSISTANT, Other , East Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!