Company: SET SEG
Location: East Lansing
Posted on: March 16, 2020
SET SEG is looking for a detail-oriented Medical Underwriter to
provide extensive industry expertise and analytical support to SET
SEG's sales and consultative work with Michigan public schools. The
Medical Underwriter will evaluate and optimize health plan
expenses, secure coverage from commercial insurers and stop-loss
carriers, analyze plan performance, support face-to-face client and
prospect meetings, and help design innovative risk management
programs unique to SET SEG. This position will also guide and
oversee the design of reports and tools to convey complex
information in a simplified, consistent, and repeatable format that
provides practical insights and recommendations. The Medical
Underwriter will work with single employer cases and state-wide
analysis of trends. This position reports to the Chief Program
WHO WE ARE School Employers Trust (SET) is a non-profit company
that was created after a monumental shift in school funding
happened in 1965. SET, which began in 1971, served as an employee
benefits association focused on offering comprehensive and
affordable employee benefit solutions to Michigan public schools
and their employees. Two years later, its partner organization
School Employers Group (SEG) was formed to administer compensation
and fringe benefits for SET. As schools were faced with more
challenges related to insurance, SEG evolved and grew into a
company that provides workers' compensation and property/casualty
services for Michigan public schools.
Today, SET SEG continues to expand and find creative ways to meet
the specialized needs of its members. This, coupled with a superior
member experience, is why SET SEG has maintained its position as an
industry leader in the school insurance market.
We value those who proactively solve challenges, simplify the
complex, thrive in a fast-paced setting, have a customer-first
mentality, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
We are also listed on the Business Insurance Best Places to Work.
We offer 100% employer paid insurance (medical, dental, and
vision), Paid Time off (PTO), and paid parental leave.
Our passion is delivering peace of mind to Michigan public schools
and we look for team members who are motivated by our cause. To
learn more, visit: . WHO YOU ARE
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry
peers to support Michigan public schools through their challenges.
You seek understanding and are motivated to tackle projects and
problems with the customer in mind. You anticipate needs and
preempt challenges and concerns, delivering increasingly relevant
customer experiences over time. You value a culture that is rooted
in mutual respect, where you can learn from different perspectives
You are an experienced and detailed individual with over ten years
of medical underwriting experience with at least one carrier, TPA,
or consulting firm. You have an in-depth understanding and ability
to use Microsoft Excel-- and other specialized data analysis tools.
You have strong technical skills to enable efficient analysis and
have a demonstrated knowledge of self-funding benefit plans. You
are able to work with a sense of urgency without losing any
precision. You have strong interpersonal and communication skills,
allowing you to address various audiences internally and
externally. You have the ability to understand and adapt to
Michigan public school culture to best serve our customers. You
know how to prioritize deadlines and have excellent customer
service. You are a team player and a dedicated employee.
--- Primary Responsibilities:
- Evaluate, quantify, and communicate healthcare plan risk and
- Perform claim performance funding analyses and modeling.
- Analyze releases of data under Michigan Public Acts 106 of 2007
and 579 of 2018.
- Design ad hoc and systematized reports to convey health plan
information to internal and external customers.
- Develop illustrative rates for self-insured programs, carveouts
and employer funding of clinics/HSAs/HRAs.
- Analyze differences in excess contracts terms and conditions
and specific decease/condition carve out coverages.
- Consult on medical plan design options, network participation
and alternative claim pricing models.
- Monitor compliance with carrier reporting requirements include
in insurance contracts.
- Assist with carrier rate negotiation.
- Perform IBNR and claim lag analyses.
- Analyze plan renewals and rate exhibits.
- Analyze school compliance with the "Publicly Funded Health
Contribution Act", PA 152 of 2011.
- Develop risk management programs, including using risk pools,
captives, and third parties.
- Support external sales and consulting staff by providing
analysis and reports to be shared with schools.
- Compose school-friendly executive summaries and commentary on
specific and general medical claim findings.
- Use third-party tools to augment health plan performance
analysis and communication.
- Bachelor's degree in math or science-related field or
- Ten years of medical underwriting experience with at least one
carrier, TPA, or consulting firm
- Demonstrated knowledge of self-funding benefit plans
- In-depth understanding and ability with Microsoft Excel-- and
other specialized data analysis tools
- Strong technical skills to enable efficient analysis
- Ability to execute work with an effective balance between
urgency and precision
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to address
various audiences internally and externally
- Ability to understand and adapt to Michigan public school
- Ability to prioritize deadlines, customer service, and quality
measures in dynamic environment Physical Demands / Work
Several hours per day at a sit/stand desk, average mobility to move
around an office environment; able to spend several hours per day
at a computer; travel to various locations throughout Michigan.
Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required. May
require on-call availability and may require working during
non-business hours and on weekends.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of
race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual
orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender,
gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to
be an equal opportunity workplace.
Keywords: SET SEG, East Lansing , Medical Underwriter, Healthcare , East Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!