Restaurant General Manager
Company: Potbelly Sandwich Works
Location: East Lansing
Posted on: March 16, 2023
> > Earn up to $60,000 annual base salary + bonuses! >
No Early Mornings, No Late Nights, No Fryers, No Alcohol, Grow Your
Career, Have a Quality of LifeGENERAL DESCRIPTION
The GM is the leader of the Potbelly shop! He or she should bring
his or her Positive Energy each and every day to Build and Inspire
our teams and to make Potbelly a fun place for our customers,
He or she should have the ability to see "Big Picture" of running
the business. Be able to coach and develop people, to execute
outstanding product quality and exceptional customer service, and
to build sales and control costs for each shift.
He or she should also be able to multi-task and follow Potbelly
standard operating policies and procedures with essential areas of
In addition to following standard Potbelly operating policies and
procedures, main areas of focus include (but are not
- Select and hire great employees who represent Potbelly
- Train and develop all employees to the next level.
- Assess staff abilities. Create and implement effective
- Create and enforce a plan to reduce turnover.
- Delegate tasks to team and provide follow-up. Hold team
- Build relationships among team members. Provide effective and
open communication on goals during team meetings. Recognize
- Provide timely and thorough performance appraisals based on
defined goals and objectives for the shop.
- Educate team on and enforce all appropriate personnel policies,
labor laws, and security and safety procedures.
- Administer all in-shop employee benefits and payroll
- Make customers really happy.
- Effectively handle customer complaints/issues.
- Measure customer satisfaction and execute plan to improve both
satisfaction and loyalty.
- Maintain a clean and inviting shop. Ensure cleanliness,
maintenance and security standards are met.
- Ensure product quality, safety and sanitation standards are
- Provide fast, friendly and accurate service.
- Continuously improve customer feedback program scores. Sales
- Increase comp sales and deliver budgeted sales each
- Create marketing plan. Lead local shop marketing to increase
sales. GM ideally lives in the neighborhood and is involved in the
community, the school and local business, social and not-for-profit
- Create shop plan to continuously improve the business. Profits
- Control cost of goods, variances and inventories within the
- Staff and schedule appropriately to control labor costs.
- Ensure proper cash handling and deposit procedures are
- Ensure appropriate inventory and ordering systems are in
- Must have financial literacy; Ability to understand and learn
from financial reports.
- Ability to increase flow-through. EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND
- Knows, lives and can teach The Potbelly Advantage.
- Adopts the Potbelly Values as their personal values.
- Has excellent communication skills, including active listening
and the ability to ask great questions.
- Has a sustained record of leading teams to success.
- Possess an extremely strong work ethic.
- Is educated and is an active learner.
- Has the initiative to solve problems and to get things done
correctly and on time.
- Has the ability to grow other leaders.
- Has humility and self-confidence.
- Knows how and successfully grows our sales/business
- Minimum of at least 2 years as a General Manager in a
restaurant or retail environment with P&L. responsibility.
Experience in the Restaurant Industry, preferred.
- High School degree; Bachelor's degree, preferred.
- Strong business acumen. Ability to see "Big Picture."
- Ability to manage a fast-paced, high-volume, clean,
- Must have Open availability.
- As a requirement of the position, all Shift Leaders and
Managers must be trained and pass a Food Safety
- Certification course. In Illinois certification is required
through the Illinois Department of Public Health, while in all
other states certification is required through the National
Restaurant Association (ServSafe), National Registry of Food Safety
Professionals or the National Environmental Health Association
(Prometric). Should the Shift Leader or Manager fail to pass the
certification requirements after two attempts, he or she will be
not be qualified to continue to perform in a Shift Leader or
- Ability to comprehend and communicate in English via verbal and
written communication, such that employee can perform his or her
- Must spend 80-90% of time on the shop floor in the Front of the
- Must have financial literacy. Ability to understand financial
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong time-management skills. Ability to multi-task, to
prioritize and to organize.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to select, develop,
inspire and manage strong teams.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to delegate, follow-up and hold team accountable.
- Ability to create and execute effective plans to build the
- Must have the ability to set budgets and maintain food and
- Ability to follow expectations and guidelines set by
- Microsoft Office skills.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be
considered for employment without attention to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, veteran status, or disability status
Keywords: Potbelly Sandwich Works, East Lansing , Restaurant General Manager, Executive , East Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...