Department Manager General Merchandise I - Spartan Bookstore
Company: Follett Corporation
Location: East Lansing
Posted on: September 23, 2022
Manages the General Merchandise department at a large store
including managing employee activities to meet the financial and
marketing objectives of the company. Coordinates sales promotions
with the Home Office and manages execution in the store. This
position also assists customers and suggests the selection of
products based on knowledge of current products, familiarity with
offerings, and customer interactions. Demonstrates strong knowledge
of Follett systems and strategies (Included Program, Academic
Tools, System Integrations, etc.), the industry, and the
competitive landscape in order to execute initiatives, drive
profitable sales, and control expenses. Effectively executes
company programs and initiatives. Ensures compliance with company
policies and procedures. Partners with various support partners
including Store Operations, RCMS, AP, HR, and Training.
Consistently demonstrates Follett Values - Integrity,
Accountability, Customers, Each and Every Associate, Innovation,
and Teamwork. Demonstrates proficiency in Follett Strategic
- Supervises the employees of the department including assigning
and evaluating work as well as interviewing, hiring and training
- Supervises the Home Office regulated processes related to
Return-to-Vendor (RTV) receiving and scanning.
- Assists customers in finding products.
- Manages the special order functions and notifies
- Partners to create and maintain a Hassle Free customer service
culture, focused on solutions-based selling and an exceptional
- Builds key partnerships with other store staff and campus
organizations for promotional opportunities and special events and
assists with off-site sales opportunities (e.g., graduation,
basketball, football, author signings, etc.).
- Conducts store walkthroughs on a daily basis to ensure proper
stock levels, inventory placement, and customer service
- Manages the in-store merchandise display from the stockroom to
the sales floor, serving as the liaison between the Store and the
- Creates and maintains displays in compliance with company
- Executes Home Office initiated markups and markdowns, analyzes
financial reports, processes purchase orders, and approves
- Partners with the Store Manager to execute promotions and
sales, and ensures proper inventory levels based on sales and
- May perform website maintenance and fill orders. Maintains
price accuracy and merchandise availability on the store
- Responds to student, faculty, staff, alumni, and other customer
questions and issues resolving escalated issues as
- May manage the store in the absence of the store manager or
supervise other departments from time to time.
- May open or close the store.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To learn more about Follett's benefits click here
- 3-5 years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of retail supervisory experience; computer
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) are
- Previous supervisory/management experience is
- General computer skills.
Keywords: Follett Corporation, East Lansing , Department Manager General Merchandise I - Spartan Bookstore, Executive , East Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!