Community, Food & Environment Institute Communicator/Communications Manager I
Company: Inside Higher Ed
Location: East Lansing
Posted on: February 19, 2021
Job no: 692810Work type: Extension, Support StaffPay Grade:
12Major Administrative Unit / College: Michigan State University
ExtensionDepartment: Msue Directors Office 10058282Sub Area: AP-
ProfessionalsSalary: 49130.00Location: East LansingCategories: Full
Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP,
Administrative/Business/Professional, Union, Advising/Counseling,
Agriculture, Education/Training, PR/Media/Graphics/Comm/Fund
RaisingWorking/Functional TitleCommunity, Food & Environment
Institute CommunicatorPosition SummaryCoordinates, assembles and
distributes information pertaining to a college, department or
program of a limited size, staff and/or complexity, which may
include the on-line communications and the publication of news and
press releases, brochures and/or related materials. You will work
with a team of communicators to provide leadership and support for
the education, communication and marketing efforts of MSU
Extension, specifically for the Community, Food & Environment
Institute (CFEI). You will develop and manage communications and
marketing strategy in concert with the institute director and
associate director. You will integrate and prioritize use of best
practices related to DEI to identify and assist in the development
of materials in support of programming created through a DEI lens
that supports growth and understanding of critical issues facing
target audiences. You will also review and provide administrative
guidance across communications for events, processes, outreach
strategies, program delivery and communication pathways to identify
and remove barriers in reaching potential participants. Diversity,
equity and inclusion are essential elements vital to the culture
MSU Extension endeavors to cultivate. CFEI is comprised of
approximately 80 community-based educators across Michigan's 83
counties. Major program efforts focus on leveraging human and
natural assets to enhance government and community vitality,
strengthen community food systems, improve Michigan's natural
resources, and strengthen household finances and homeownership
education. Characteristic Duties/Responsibilities
- Plans, creates, produces, photographs, edits, records or drafts
releases and feature materials for on-line communications, media
and publications in order to inform the public and University of
issues and events.
- Identifies sources of information, researches, surveys and
interviews to obtain information.
- Composes, edits, designs, records, produces and duplicates
audiotaped or printed programs or materials.
- Coordinates and approves the work of artists, photographers and
printers and monitors work in progress.
- Assists with web development and technological enhancements for
- Maintains and updates files including statistical reports,
clippings and measurements.
- Assists with negotiating rates and orders advertising for
print, television or radio.
- Contributes to the overall growth and engagement strategies for
- Informs innovative social medial marketing campaigns to support
traditional media, public relations, and advertising activities and
to promote department events.
- Supports social media goal setting, execution, tracking, and
- Serves as a liaison with other University departments,
including University Relations.Unit Specific
- Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired
by completing a four-year college degree program in communications,
journalism, telecommunications, professional writing, business,
marketing, English, public relations, or related field.
- One to three years of related and progressively more
responsible or expansive work experience in communications, public
and media relations, composing, editing and publication production,
news, broadcasting, and print media, and/or marketing, advertising,
and creative services; graphic design; word processing; desktop
publishing; web design; presentation; spreadsheet and/or database
software; public presentation; or radio production; or computer
programming/technology; experience managing content for social
- Or an equivalent combination of education and
- Self-starter who can effectively work both independently and in
a team environment.
- Experience and proven ability working productively with a team
serving in both leadership and contributor roles.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships
intra- and inter-organizationally.
- Identify and assist in the development of materials in support
of programming created with a DEI lens that supports growth and
understanding of critical issues facing target audiences.
- Ability to apply a DEI framework, review and provide
administrative guidance across events, processes, outreach
strategies, program delivery and communication pathways to identify
and remove barriers in reaching potential participants.
- Ability to prioritize tasks effectively.
- Ability to demonstrate sound decision making skills.
- Demonstrated ability for accuracy and thoroughness.
- Five plus years of related and progressively more responsible
or expansive work experience in communications, marketing, public
relations, or a closely related area.
- Demonstrated skills and professional development from the last
five years related to cultural competency and inclusive
- Experience or interest in government and community vitality,
community food systems, natural resources, and/or finance and
- Demonstrated commitment to reach diverse populations.
- Experience in the use of AP Style writing and editing
techniques, digital communications, social media and general
- Demonstrated mastery and understanding of web-based content
- Experience managing content and executing content for social
- Strong writing, proofreading and editing skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Constant Contact, Microsoft Office, Photoshop, and
- Knowledge of computer software and usage (e.g., word
processing, spreadsheets, scheduling, Internet browsers,
- Basic photography and graphic design skills.
- Knowledge of MSU branding.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a
fast-paced environment while adhering to aggressive deadlines.
- Event coordination experience.
- Ability to lift and carry educational materials, equipment,
etc. up to 25 lbs.
- Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse
network of constituents and community members across race, color,
gender, national origin, gender identity, religion, age, height,
weight, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital
status, family status, veteran status, socioeconomic class, and
- Able to demonstrate sensitivity, knowledge, and use of
appropriate approaches, skills and techniques, which reflect an
understanding and awareness of social, cultural and economic
diversity of the target population.
- Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights
principles and compliance standards.
- Has an understanding and commitment to equal access and
opportunity and to diversity, equity and inclusivity.
- Understands, supports, and fosters integration of diversity,
equity and inclusion practices.
- Other skills and/or physical abilities required to perform
duties of the position.Equal Employment Opportunity StatementAll
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or
protected veteran status.Required Application Materials
- Current resume/CV.
- Cover letter.
- Four (4) professional references including at least two (2)
prior or current supervisors.Work HoursSTANDARD 8-5Bidding
eligibility ends on 2/16/2021 at 11:55 PMAdvertised: Feb 10, 2021
Eastern Standard TimeApplications close: Mar 9, 2021 Eastern
Keywords: Inside Higher Ed, East Lansing , Community, Food & Environment Institute Communicator/Communications Manager I, Executive , East Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!