Utilities Project Engineer
Company: HNTB Corporation
Location: East Lansing
Posted on: June 19, 2022
What We're Looking ForResponsible for the production and
modification of design calculations, technical reports, engineering
plans and specifications for assigned projects. This position
consults with the project manager to perform research, development,
calculations, design and delivery. Applies engineering techniques,
procedures and design criteria for projects ranging in size and
complexity. Leverages technical knowledge and experience to address
design related issues or concerns, working closely with the project
manager through creative problem solving, interactions with clients
and by completing tasks to meet the project schedule. Develops
conceptual and detailed designs and calculations to support the
project completion using current drawing and technical tools,
programs and software. May mentor, train and review work of junior
engineer staff and provide constructive feedback. As a member of
the team, you will contribute to the successful project delivery
for a diverse range of projects for HNTB's clientsCompetencies:
- Ensures accountability by holding oneself and others
accountable to meet commitments.
- Exhibits action orientation by calling upon prior experiences
to take on new challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and
- Collaborates with other disciplines outside of own primary
discipline. Effectively building relationships through working with
ones counterpart at the client level, partnering with clients to
meet shared objectives.
- Communicates effectively by developing and delivering
information that conveys a clear understanding of the project needs
to external audiences.
- Manages complexity by making sense of complicated, high
quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively
- Exhibits courage by stepping up to address difficult issues by
saying what needs to be said.
- Displays sound decision quality for processes and making timely
decisions that keep the organization moving forward with
consideration of how decisions affect other disciplines.
- Develops the technical skills and organizational skills
(project, budget, etc.) of others to meet both their career goals
and the firm's goals.
- Directs work by delegating, guiding, and recommending solutions
to remove obstacles.
- Provides technical oversight and guidance to project team
- Uses resourcefulness by securing and deploying resources
effectively and efficiently, using a variety of people and
- Drives self-development by actively seeking new ways to grow
and be challenged at the discipline level using both formal and
informal development channels, with development focused on their
future career path.
- Optimizes work processes by knowing and integrating the most
effective and efficient processes to get things done. Focusing on
continuous improvement balanced with client expectations.
- Understands the impacts of decisions on technical design and
- Coordinates work planning and design effectively across
multiple technical disciplines.
- Prepares high quality deliverables that are on time, and within
budget and scope.Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience in the development of plans, specifications, and
cost estimates for the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT)
or other state DOTs and Local Agencies.
- Experience in the use of MicroStation and ProjectWise.
- Experience in the discipline of utility coordination, highway
construction inspection, and engineering.
- Experience with the development of meeting minutes and the
ability track action items.
- INDWhat You'll NeedEssential Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the planning and distribution of
discipline-specific work, and adherence the to the schedule and
budget on projects.
- Assists in marketing responsibilities, including proposal
- Assists with the development of scope of work and level of
effort for projects and/or assignments within discipline.
- Oversees completeness and accuracy of project team's work
within the technical discipline. Guides and mentors team to overall
- Coordinates technical aspects of project with client
counterpart and teaming partners at staff level for work within the
- Works closely with other disciplines on multi-discipline
- Performs other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering and 6 years of relevant
- Master's degree in Engineering and 5 years of relevant
- PhD in Engineering and 4 years of relevant experienceAdditional
InformationClick here for benefits information: HNTB Total
RewardsClick here to learn more about EOE including disability and
vetVisa sponsorship is not available for this position.R-08601 Full
Time #AKNOTICE TO THIRD-PARTY AGENCIES:HNTB does not accept
unsolicited resumes from recruiters or agencies. Any
staffing/employment agency, person or entity that submits an
unsolicited resume to this site does so with the understanding that
the applicant's resume will become the property of HNTB. HNTB will
have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion and without
any fee owed to the submitting staffing/employment agency, person
or entity. Staffing/employment agencies who have fee agreements
with HNTB must submit applicants to the designated HNTB recruiter
to be eligible for placement fees.Job Type: RegularFull/Part Time:
Full timeJob Category: Engineering GroupReqID: R-08601
Keywords: HNTB Corporation, East Lansing , Utilities Project Engineer, Engineering , East Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!